Saturday, September 22, 2012

(Still) Still Figuring It Out

One of the first fashion bloggers I have ever read is Tavi Gevinson, AKA Style Rookie, AKA prodigy child blogger. She started at 12, is currently in her sophomore year of high school, and has had an insane amount of success. I've generally enjoyed here eclectic style and usage of movies for clothing inspirations (see "The One"), but my respect from her went up exponentially when I found this TedTalk she did here.

The confidence and understanding she had in herself was very admirable, especially considering her age. My eight years of seniority has not proven to have gained me that much more insight, though I suppose her exposure and interaction with adults is similar to my own within each of our lifetimes.

The basic theme of the talk is that strong female leads are generally depicted as fairly one-dimensional, which is just not even close to the true case. Constant contradictions and reassessments fuel most people's lives, because no one (including men) has it all figured out.

This is a comforting thought. People may have a certain expectation of how I should portray myself, but I am still figuring it out. I am allowed to wear tights as pants, even after condemning them for years. I can write a post about my resistance to purses while looking for one. Opinions can change; sometimes reasoning for a decision will no longer hold merit. Frustrating for bystanders, I'm sure, but just be flexible and accept your surroundings. Change is good. Figuring things out is good. It sure beats outdated stubbornness.

The young lady of the hour, keeping it real

No comments:

Post a Comment